Sunday, January 16, 2011

A small triumph in the world of Narcolepsy...

Yesterday was a tough day. I must have had a bad nights sleep and Sean tells me that I woke him once with an hallucination I was having. For people with Narcolepsy, the amount of restful sleep at night is limited because we spend much more time in REM sleep. When I have a bad night's sleep, I mean that I feel extra tired and this could be contributed to having less than the usual amount of restful sleep, which is so important, because Narcoleptics are sleep deprived.

 But regardless, I triumphed, made the most of my day and got through it. I chose to write about yesterday because it was the first time I had a hard day, and it was one of the first times that I didn't let it depress me. Now I know people reading this might not be familiar with what a hard day is like for me so I will explain. Usually I wake up at 8am and have the best part of my day because its when I feel most awake. But yesterday, Sean came in around 10am and had to wake me (because I can't get too far off a schedule because its vital to my sleep hygiene). And let me tell you all, I was exhausted and felt like I could sleep for three days. But I got up, took a shower, took my medicine and am SO lucky because I have an amazing fiance that made me coffee while I was in the shower. I went through my day not allowing the tiredness get me down.

Later in the day Sean and I went to Walmart and I had to stay in the car to take a nap. When Sean got back, he brought me flowers :)


The flowers gave me the little push I really needed to not let the rough day get me down. We came back to the apartment, had dinner together, I took some more medicine and I went upstairs to watch a movie with Katie (the landlord).

Yesterday was important to me because previously days like yesterday would put me in a bad mood because I was depressed that I was so tired and trying to make it through the day. I would usually be upset that I didn't feel "normal" and was weighed down by Narcolepsy. But yesterday, with the help of the most understanding and loving Fiance, I made it through the day with happiness.

It truly was a small triumph in the world of Narcolepsy.

2 comments:

  1. I was just letting you know that you truly blessed me ! I have narcolepsy also and I fully understand what you are talking about, Also I have a lot of those bad days , where I don't want to even move from the spot I have been in the whole day,it happens mostly during the summer. Also if you have then too much you might want to get checked out and see if you have clinical depression. I have clinical depression and take Prozac. it is a good help. All this is new to me , they found this after I got in a car accident in my freshman year of high school. And now I am in my freshman year of college, So I have been dealing with this for a little while, but it popped out of nowhere, Anyway thank you, and I pray that God continues to use you ! -

    ReplyDelete