Sunday, January 9, 2011

And so it goes...





I haven't posted here in a few days and figured I'd give everyone an update. As the days go on living with Narcolepsy it seems that I've gotten better at timing my medication, which truly is a great triumph. I flew down to Tennessee  a couple days ago and then had to drive a couple hours to my FiancĂ©'s (Sean) apartment which I just moved into. I managed to take my second dose of Adderall just as we were landing, which came it just enough time to start working so I was able to drive without a problem. Being able to drive two hours used to be something I was great at, but as the Narcolepsy progressed these past couple years it was becoming harder and harder. So to be able to drive two hours without feeling exhausted was truly a rewarding experience for me.

Even though I am getting the hang of the medication, its not to say that I don't have bad moments too. Just yesterday I was at the grocery store with Sean and I literally felt like I could barely stand. Thankfully I had an amazing guy with me who walked around and helped me get through the shopping. I had taken my medication fifteen minutes before and either a) had a sleep attack or b) it just hadn't kicked in yet. I think it was a sleep attack because I literally had a hard time standing up because I was so exhausted. But, it passed, and once again I did what I had to do which was very empowering.

I still have my moments of grief, because this is a life changing disease, where I am angry and frustrated and depressed but I try my best to keep my head up and remember that I now live with two very adorable dogs that I get to take a nap with every day :)
 

So yeah, life could be worse ;). Just yesterday I had the pleasure of taking my assigned twenty minute nap and I was so lucky to have the little guy on the right sleep with me. It makes all the difference.

It seems that things are still up and down for now but it's life and it's an adventure and I wouldn't have it any other way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment